Monday, February 15, 2010

Reaching the Summit

When we aim high and find the going tough, we wonder whether we will ever reach the summit or is it even worth the effort. I would like to narrate a personal incident.
We set out to climb the hill on which the Shankaracharya Temple was located in Srinagar, India. I am not much of a climber and would have preferred taking the vehicle at the bottom of the hill. But as everyone else wanted to walk up, I perforce agreed and regretted the decision within fifteen minutes as I found the hill pretty steep for me to climb. But there was no going back. We simply had to go on climbing because midway no vehicles were available. Really angry with myself for having agreed to walk in the first place, I prayed silently and climbed on. When I was at the end of my tether, a jeep stopped on its own, the occupants realising that this person is finding the climb difficult. Not only myself, the others also piled in and the last leg we reached in comfort.
It was an important lesson that when we aim high and put in the requisite effort, we may get help from an unexpected source to reach the summit. Who knows who will airlift us when we find the going tough. We just have to carry on.

No comments: